Lege-Cap Ferret is a peninsula district located approximately 50 km west from Bordeaux, on the Atlantic coast of France.
Its geographical position is quite unique since it offers two very different seascapes. On the west side of the peninsula, you can admire the Atlantic ocean, the waves and the endless horizon while walking on one of the large sandy beaches. As for the east side, it offers various viewpoints on the bay of Arcachon, the island of birds and the famous Pyla dune.
The peninsula is a 25-km strip of land that hosts a dozen villages from Lege (North) to Cap Ferret (South).
PROGRAM OF THE DAY:
- Have lunch at Le Port d’Attache restaurant, in the village of Claouey (begining of the peninsula)
If you look for a very good and still affordable restaurant, far away from tourist traps, where you can bring your dog along, this is the right place. Le Port d’Attache is well situated, in a beautiful house with windows all around the dining room. You can eat inside or outside. Both the welcome and the service are pleasant. As to the food, it’s delicious! You can choose from the a la carte menu, but I advise you to try the Tradition menu. You’ll get a first course + main course + dessert for only 19 Euros! Check out their website for photos and details about the menus. It’s better to call to make a reservation, especially during the summer season.
Adress: 19 Avenue Général de Gaulle (at the end of Claouey village, 50 m from the sea) – Phone:
- Take a walk through the remarkable oyster cabins by the water at Le Canon village. You can also taste fresh oysters and other seafood.
- Visit the lighthouse of Cap Ferret. From the top, you’ll get a breathtaking 360-degree panorama on the bay and the ocean. Check out their website for schedules, rates and information about their activities.
- Discover some of the bunkers of the peninsula, remains of World War II at la Pointe beach (ocean side).
- Swim at le Domaine des 400 beach (bay side) if you prefer calm sea to ocean waves.
- Have a drink and relax at Cocotte (cafe, restaurant, hotel). Adress: 62 avenue de l’Ocean, Cap Ferret – Phone: 05 57 70 59 13 – Facebook page
So, are you ready to explore Lege-Cap Ferret with your four-legged friend?
Website of the Tourist office of Lege-Cap Ferret.
Website of the City hall of Lege-Cap Ferret.
Read this article on the blog of Camille in Bordeaux (in French).
Photos & contents @ The Tropical Dog 2015-2017.